UM Chinese Flagship Summer at Shanghai
A rigorous, engaging summer program designed specifically for Flagship students on an intermediate proficiency level.
► Program Dates
* unless early or late departure approved.
- The Summer at Shanghai Program is an integral part of our Chinese Flagship curriculum, utilized between the 200 and 300 levels. Chinese Flagship students from other campuses are welcome to apply, provided that they meet the following eligibility guidelines:
- Must be a Flagship student in good standing at the home institution.
- Must be on or approaching the intermediate mid proficiency level in reading, writing, speaking, and listening upon application.*
- Must NOT be beyond intermediate high in speaking upon application.
- Must be recommended by the Flagship director and current Chinese instructor(s) at the home institution.
- Must have a passport that is valid until at least May 15 of 2018 at the time of application.
► Program Costs
Total estimated cost for tuition, housing and fees for Summer 2017:
- Tuition and fees: $4,800 (this includes the China visa*, but not any costs associated with obtaining or renewing a passport)
- Airfare: $1,750 (an approximation, taking into account rising fuel prices.)
- Food: $210 (approx. $10/day, although you may spend more during the Beijing trip and in airports.)
- Plan on spending at least another $250 in personal, miscellaneous expenses (this amount differs greatly from student to student).
- *The China visa cost estimation assumes that you allow us to submit your application and receive the discounted price offered by our agent.
► Application Process
University of Mississippi Chinese Flagship students are assessed internally and need NOT apply independently.All interested students from other programs should complete this application:
You must also contact our director, Dr. Henrietta Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform her that you intend to apply.
Inquiries must be received by January 23, 2017 and all application materials must be received by February 15, 2017.