Opportunities for Current and Future UM ROTC Students Studying Critical/Strategic Languages
The University of Mississippi provides several advantages to ROTC students wishing to reach high proficiency in foreign language, especially Mandarin Chinese:
UM Project GO Summer in Taiwan*
Current ROTC students around the country:
Click here to access our program info pages.
*Project GO is not for Flagship students, who have separate options and funding for summer study abroad.
*Project GO is an initiative sponsored by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office and administered by the Institute of International Education.
ROTC Project GO opportunities (open to all ROTC students studying Chinese on any U.S. campus)
Visit our General Info & Strategies page for our take on how to make the most of Project Go throughout your college career … starting in fall of freshman year, if not earlier.
Scholarships & Benefits for Chinese Flagship Students in Army or Air Force ROTC
Air Force & Army ROTC students who are also accepted into a Language Flagship Program are eligible for a ROTC-Flagship scholarship, which has the following benefits:
- Up to 4 years of full tuition (including non-resident fees)*
- or up to 4 years of room and board
- Air Force:
- Up to $18k / year, usually starting no earlier than spring of freshman year
Flagship students in ROTC also receive
- Scholarships to cover the full programmatic cost for the Flagship overseas summer, including tuition, housing, airfare, etc., plus a meal stipend**
- Scholarships to cover the full programmatic cost for the Chinese Flagship Capstone year, including tuition, housing, airfare, etc., plus a meal stipend**
Flagship ROTC students, as with all ROTC students, are also eligible for the applicable opportunities described in the Project GO section below.
* To receive a full 8 semesters of scholarship funding, you must apply and be accepted into Flagship directly out of high school and complete the necessary paperwork through ROTC early in fall semester of your freshman year.
** Flagship scholarships are always dependent on federal budgeting and are never guaranteed in advance