UM Chinese Flagship Summer in Taiwan
- A rigorous, engaging summer program designed specifically for Flagship students on an intermediate proficiency level.
► Cultural Trips
- Three day trips to Chia-yi & Tainan,
- One 2-day-1-night trip to A-Li mountain, and
- One 3-day-2-night trip to Taipei.
► Program Dates (updates pending for 2020)
* unless early or late departure approved.
► Program Docs (updates pending for 2020)
- The Summer in Taiwan Program is an integral part of our Chinese Flagship curriculum, utilized between the 200 and 300 levels. Chinese Flagship students from other campuses are welcome to apply, provided that they meet the following eligibility guidelines:
- Must be a Flagship student in good standing at the home institution.
- Must be on or approaching the intermediate mid proficiency level in reading, writing, speaking, and listening upon application.*
- Must NOT be beyond intermediate high in speaking upon application.
- Must be recommended by the Flagship director and current Chinese instructor(s) at the home institution.
- Must have a passport that is valid until at least May 15 of 2021 at the time of application.
► Program Costs
Total estimated cost for tuition, housing and fees for Summer 2020:
- Tuition and fees: $4,140.14
- Lodging: $882.35
- Books: $0
- Insurance: $86
- Visa: $0
- Airfare: $2,150 (a conservative estimate, taking into account rising fuel prices.)
- Food: $210 (approx. $10/day, although you may spend more during the Taipei trip and in airports.)
- Plan on spending at least another $250 in personal, miscellaneous expenses (this amount differs greatly from student to student).
- Approximate Total: $7,720
- (Note: Univ. of MS Chinese Flagship students receive UM scholarships that bring the cost down to approx. $4k, including all expenses listed above).
► Application Process
- University of Mississippi Chinese Flagship students are assessed internally and need NOT apply independently. Due to capacity constraints, we cannot take outside applicants for summer, 2020.
$3,181 per student ($120 less).