It’s now more affordable to earn a master’s at the Middlebury Institute. We guarantee Language Flagship students and alumni a $16,000 annual scholarship for any of our master’s programs. They may also receive additional merit and need-based scholarships, depending in part on the strength of their application.
Top five tips for translating Language Flagship time abroad into a successful grad school application:
- Tailor the application to the school’s values. Look carefully at essay prompts, interview questions, program descriptions, and employment outcomes to identify values.
- Write a targeted essay. Draw on real-world experiences to demonstrate what particular skills you will bring to the program. Don’t just recycle an essay used on another school!
- Ace the interview. Highlight skills you gained during service, including learning a new language; managing a cross-cultural team; starting a new program; thriving in ambiguity.
- Underscore adaptability: Explain how your time abroad taught you to overcome obstacles, face challenges, and ultimately thrive in a new environment.
- Translate experience into outcomes: Highlight successes in your experience that led to sustainable results.